On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 May 2017 13:59:54 -0500, Kirk Wolf wrote:
>
> >Hi John,
> >
> >To mount tapes with Co:Z SFTP, you have to enable the "mount" dynamic
> >allocation option:
> >
> >ls /+mount
> >
> (This may also require administrative configuration action.)

​Thanks. That works for me. ​

> >(And you also need mount authority)
> >
> I assume that if it's a GDG it's catalogued.

​The default disp, I think, for all data sets is NEW,CATLG . And, of
course, GDGs are catalogued.​

> How does GDG(+1) work outside JCL?

​Nothing like they do in JCL. That is, suppose you have GDG.G0001V00
already. You then allocate GDG(+1). You now have GDG.G0002V00. You allocate
GDG(+1) again, you end up with GDG.G0003V00.​

Actually, since the GDG is cataloged at allocate time (SMS) or step end
(non-SMS), the initiator has what I recall being called a "GDG bias table".
I remember a zap back in the MVT days which would disable this. The logic
for this was that "the relative generation number should stay the same in
all the JCL statements in all the steps". So that GDG(+1) was the same
generation all steps after the one in which it was created (and cataloged).
This is one reason why restart is difficult without something like CA-11.
When you restart a job, you must modify all the relative GDG numbers in the
DD statements. Which is very labor intensive and error prone.

> Will each SVC 99 create a new generation?
>
> Is (+1) allocated to a new volume or a new data set or the volume of (+0)?
> Can the programmer control this?  I don't believe DYNALLOC supports
> VOL=REF.
>
> Does Co:Z support DD:?

​Only their sftp client when it is running on z/OS. So you can do a "get"
to a z/OS DD statement.
ref: https://dovetail.com/docs/sftp/client.html​

> -- gil

Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of
selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless. -- Sinclair Lewis

Maranatha! <><
John McKown