On Tue, 2 May 2017 14:40:49 -0500, Steve Beaver wrote:

>How does GDG(+1) work outside JCL? (NO)
>
>Will each SVC 99 create a new generation? YES

Those two statements seem to contradict each other.  The first says you can't
create
a new generation; the second says you can't.  (Perhaps it can be done, but not
in
the DSN= key.)

>Can the programmer control this?  DYNALLOC supports everything you can do in a
>DD Statement  (It’s a lot of work but yes you can)

I know I've failed with BPXWDYN attempting to allocate two data sets (different
position on the same tape volume), but I do it readily in JCL.

VOL=REF?  I suppose I could do an INFO to get the volser then use that
explicitly.
But see above.

In an IKJEFT01 step, how would I go about accessing a temp DSN passed from an
earlier step.  Chasing control blocks?  Yes, that's a lot of work.

My recent experience is with BPXWDYN.  It's been decades since I used SVC 99
in assembler.

OK.  Here's the list from  SA23-1371-05 z/OS MVS Programming:
    Authorized Assembler Services Guide iea3a812.pdf

    JCL DD statement facilities not supported by dynamic allocation
    Table 69 lists JCL DD statement facilities that cannot be used in dynamic
allocation.
      Table 69. JCL DD Statement Facilities Not Supported by Dynamic Allocation
    Restricted DDnames
    Keyword Parameters
    Positional Parameters
    Selected Subparameters of Keywords
    JOBCAT, STEPCAT, JOBLIB, and STEPLIB
    CHKPT, DDNAME, DLM, and DSID
    *, DATA, and DYNAM
    Keyword Subparameter Not Supported
    DCB reference to ddname of a previous step CYLOFL
    NTM RKP
    DISP        PASS specification DSN  reference to ddname (as in *.ddname)
ISAM area
    name SPACE  ABSTR specification
    UNIT        AFF
    VOLUME