On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Ron Thomas <ron5...@gmail.com> wrote:

> we are looking at renaming all of the datasets like the below.
>
> Old dataset - >  SLXR5V.SAPDB.*
> New dataset - > SLXR5V.SAPDB.X.*

​Ah. Not too bad. Something like the following REXX might work (untested
since it's close to my go-home time)

/* REXX */
XX=OUTTRAP('DATA.','*')
LISTC LVL('SLXR5V.SAPDB​')
XX=OUTTRAP("OFF")
DO I=1 TO DATA.0
  LINE=DATA.I
  IF 'NONVSAM' <> WORD(LINE,1) THEN ITERATE /* ONLY WORKS FOR NON-VSAM */
  DSN=WORD(LINE,3) /* GET THE DSN */
  SUFFIX=SUBSTR(DSN,12) /* STRIP OFF THE FRONT */
  NEWDSN='SLXR5V.SAPDB.X'||SUFFIX
  "ALTER '"DSN"' NEWNAME('"NEWDSN"')"
END

​My example is only for non-VSAM, but you can use something similar by
checking the first word for "CLUSTER", "INDEX", or "DATA".​

> Thanks
> Ron T

Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of
selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless. -- Sinclair Lewis

Maranatha! <><
John McKown