From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of John Eells
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2017 7:14 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: EAV volumes and SYSRES

R.S. wrote:
[...]
List -
Just curious if the EAV volumes can be used for SYSRES volumes or if
there are any concerns with using them for SYSRES volumes?

If they can be used for SYSRES, any considerations with using them?

Just looking for advise.

IMHO there are few things to consider:

1. EAV consist of EAS (upper space) and traditional "track-addressable"
space. SYSRES and probably everything else can be placed below the
line of 65520 cyl, because it is regular "legacy" 3390-54 volume.

True.

2. What can be placed "above the line" (that means in EAS)? That's the
question. I would not try to place there any of operational datasets
like RACF db, logrec archive, SYS1.MANx, etc. UNLESS it is clearly
documented.

Right.  Not sure we have documented this well, though, so if you find some
missing things, please submit RCFs.

  From the other hand - SYSRES is NOT the place for operational datasets!

I certainly agree!

This is a room for target libraries. I would not worry about non-LPA
and non-LNKLST libraries and non-IPL_LNKLST (dynamically added) libraries.
And most non-executable (RECFM=U) libraries.

For this and #3, see the list I posted in response to Lizette's original
post.

3. What about ZFS and HFS? I would check it again, but IMHO all of
them can be placed in EAS.

4. What about ServerPac Installation Dialog? Does it support EAV yet?

It does not.  It likely will never do so.  We are moving in a different
direction, with z/OSMF Software Management as our installer in a few years, I
hope.

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie