From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jim Mulder
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2017 4:16 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: PGSER R,FIX question

  The documentation for PGSER says:

,ASCB=ascb addr   Specifies the address of the ASCB for the
                                      currently addressable address space.

  You are probably specifying an ASCB which is not the currently addressable
address space.  In that case, PGSER performs the operation against the
currently addressable address space, while holding serialization for the
address space specified by the ASCB parameter.  The results will be not what
you wanted, and potentially disastrous due to the lack of serialization of
the address space where the operation is performed.

  I would  prefer that PGSER should issue an ABEND when the ASCB parameter
does not specify the currently addressable address space, and I intend to
exert some influence toward getting that implemented in a future release.

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test  IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> wrote on
07/31/2017 02:22:20 AM:

> From: Joseph Reichman <reichman...@gmail.com>
> To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
> Date: 07/31/2017 03:43 AM
> Subject: Re: PGSER R,FIX question
> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
>
> Sorry I should of pasted the entire code It is with BRANCH=SPECIAL
>
> The code that I have works with z/os 2.2 ( at least the PGSER doesn't
> abend and I am able to move 4 bytes into the program that scheduled
> the SRB) the other difference is the
> 2.2 code is running in a subtask
>
> The code that abended   is running z/os 2.1
>

> > On Jul 31, 2017, at 2:11 AM, Jim Mulder <d10j...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> >  I cannot answer your question from the incomplete information you
have
> > provided.
> > Keep in mind the the ASCB parameter you have specified on the PGSER
macro
> > is
> > applicable only to BRANCH=SPECIAL requests, and even then, possibly
not in
> > the
> > way you might be expecting.
> >
> > Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test  IBM Corp.
> > Poughkeepsie NY
> >
> >> It is my understanding the I can page fix any storage whiting a
> >> page,

> > the
> >> storage does not have to start on page boundary.
> >>

> >> I am getting a 18A abend with R0= 35000301 indicating   The page had
not
> >> been obtained by a GETMAIN macro
> >>

> >> Here is my STORAGE OBTAIN
> >>

> >> STORAGE OBTAIN,LENGTH=(R0),ADDR=(R7),BNDRY=PAGE,SP=0
> >>

> >> The PGSER
> >>

> >>      PGSER R,                                                      X
> >>
> >>                 FIX, X
> >>
> >>                A=(R7), X
> >>
> >>                ASCB=(R8),                                         X
> >>

> >> R7 points to X'88' within that page, it is executed from a SRB to
page
> > fix
> >> storage in the scheduling address space for a few instructions
> >> while
> > move
> >> data in
> >>

> >> PS I have the address space swapped  in before I issue the IEAMSCHD

> >> For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
> >> send email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO
IBM-MAIN