Vernooij, Kees (ITOPT1) - KLM wrote:

>> >BTW: I would take care to inform my manager less officially (and keep  the
>> >notification in my archive). From personal experience I'm aware how
>> >pointless is this ;-)

>> Or wait for next audit or weird abend / hacking attempt, then tell manglers,
>> supervisors and auditors.

>> Wait first for fireworks/drama, then wait for your retirement or dismissal
>> letter... ;-)

>Saying: if you knew this, why didn't you tell us?

Yup. Good question. If someone ask me your question, I'll be in serious
trouble...

In fact I have seen all variants of this:

- Tell top brass directly by mouth, e-mail, formal letter.
- Tell via supervisor/auditor using above methods.
- Delegate the trouble to someone else. (really!)
- Don't tell anyone.
- Resign. Retire. Move to other dept.
...etc...

It really helps that we (from top brass to lowest ranks) have a regurlar review
of all software used and their levels and PTFS/APARS/patches/license fees/etc.

IBM 'n+2' version support helps us a lot.

But what about software which are already marked as 'sunset' software, but you
are still hanging on them...?

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

'sunset' - dead vendor or vendor not bothering to update/support it.