> On Aug 3, 2017, at 1:24 AM, Elardus Engelbrecht
> <elardus.engelbre...@sita.co.za> wrote:
> ————————SNIP------------------------------------
> I have seen that scenario a few times in my career. Something breaks or is
> causing high CPU, excessive memory usage and swapping or slow transaction
> response time. Result - everyone screamed for a major upgrade (hardware or
> software)
>
> Sometimes a simple redesign of a program resolved most of the problems. One
> example - I have handled a bad program problem scenario. It repeately opened
> a VSAM dsn, do its thing and close. Repeat - wash, rinse, repeat all of this.
>
> Result - slow program, slow transaction times and lots of RACF SMF records
> (access attempt) and SYSLOG messages.
>
> I told the programmers after looking at their programs, just please move the
> OPEN outside the loop and the CLOSE after the loop. Voila, all were happy.
I had a similar but slightly different issue with a programmer.
They were accessing a VSAM file and each time they closed it and reopened it. I
didn’t catch it till I saw a message on the console that the SMF buffer was
full. I got a dump of the SMF address space and looked at it and sure enough
there were thousands of VSAM open/close records. I talked to the programmers
supervisor and it got changed but it took a couple of weeks. I guess I should
have caught it before, but my plate was pretty full and I just didn’t have the
time to look for stuff like that. I did add on a step to the dual SMF
processing to  catch stuff like that. Once in a while I spotted a possibility
but a call to the programmer fixed the issue before it got into production.

Ed