> Actually, even with the foreign sites, I believe that most of them elect to
> not run the translated messages options.  I don't normally
> go to the sites (actually I never go there), but it seems to me in the
> meetings that (at least the people I deal with) seem to speak
> English as well (or better) than I do.  In fact, they seem to take it as high
> praise if I should mention it.  The few discussions I have
> had about the subject are that it's no harder to learn English for manual
> reading than any other language.  [...snip…]
> The decline in alternate language options though (at least for messages)
> seems to be more because of lack of desire on
> the part of the sites rather than the vendors not creating the option(s).

It has a lot to do with the history of the people involved – the people most
sensitive to this issue tend to have long histories of not being permitted to
use their indigenous languages, and quietly resent being told that the fiat
language is the only one that matters even if they are perfectly capable of
doing their jobs in the fiat language. It’s a matter of pride – it doesn’t have
a rational basis, but bien, tu l'as maintenant. :) I dealt with a customer that
was maintaining a Aranese (a dialect used in Catalonia) copy of the IBM message
repository for just this reason, and there are still lots of sites in France
and Quebec that insist on messages and docs in French.

It also has a lot to do with the cost of translating the messages – nobody
wants to pay extra for it.  I find it interesting that (at least for VM) the
last non-English options offered were German, Japanese and uppercase English
(commonly used to deal with Hebrew and Russian conventions for text mapping and
display) which map to the largest concentrations of non-US mainframe users. IBM
and DEC (and to some extent, HP by way of inheriting the DEC user base as well
as their own user base) did a better than average job here, but it still needs
work. (If you want to find out how much impact this can be, enable Mandarin
support in your copy of Windows and watch the bloat -- oink).
I think there’s also a question of having predictable patterns for automation
packages – many explicitly set AMENG as the language so you don’t have to
replicate a bunch of code for matching patterns.

It’s probably less relevant now than it was when there were lots of interactive
users, but I have heard non-US users comment on it as a barrier that needed to
be overcome.