Way back in the 70s, our SVS and MVT systems had 2! started tasks,
Master and HASP.  Occasionally, an external writer.  STCs only later
were expanded to other purposes, and obviously there's quite a few
these days.

J R's question is a good one.  //IEFRDER allows for some convenience
overrides on a START command, but that's rarely useful for most STCs.

sas

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 7:09 AM, J R <jayare...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> IEFRDER/unitaddr was originally for unit record tasks (readers & writers)
> which would never be shared.  (Also worked for tape drives.)
> It enables start/stop/modify commands to be issued against the unit address.
> What's odd is why you're using it in this day and age for shareable devices.
>
> If this is your code, why are you using IEFRDER for a ddname?
>
>> On Aug 16, 2017, at 02:30, Brian Westerman <brian_wester...@syzygyinc.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> but because we use IEFRDER, if they forget to use the ID at start time, we
>> end up having z/OS use the unit address of the IEFRDER DD for the STC ID.
>> I'm not sure who came up with that as a rule, but it's pretty odd.

sas