The code was originally created back in 1987 and using IEFRDER allowed a lot of
flexibility (at the time).  The code now supports alternate DD's for sequential
script command input, and even dynamically generating the DD (which is what
most of the 400 current users use), but enough people still use IEFRDER that we
maintain it.  We try to add new features and still maintain 100% compatibility
for the older features.  We still have users that originally acquired the
product back in the 80's, and I think they are probably still using script that
were created back then as well.  The product does hundreds of things that it
never dreamed of back then, but by far the biggest use is still automating IPL
and Shutdown, followed by dynamic operator commands, none of which really tax
the features very much.

Brian