On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 23:56:21 +0100 David W Noon
<0000013a910fd252-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

:>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 09:40:09 -0700, Charles Mills (charl...@mcn.org)
:>wrote about "CSST question" (in <0b3a01d32a53$776116a0$662343e0$@mcn.org>):

:>> Is that saying that there is a chance that another CPU might observe a
:>> condition in which the store of the first operand had occurred, but the
:>> store of the second operand had not? My understanding from earlier
:>> paragraphs was that CSST happened "all at once" from the point of view of
:>> other CPUs. Was I mistaken?

:>My reading of PoOps is that CSST is guaranteed to be atomic, just like
:>the other instructions in the compare-and-swap family. So your first
:>understanding is correct.

My understanding is only block-concurrent operations are seen as atomic by
other processors, i.e., if one CPU is storing a fullword while another CPU is
fetching it, the results of the fetch will be either the original value or the
new value but never a combination of some bits/bytes or the original and some
bits/bytes of the new. Same with two processes storing - the result will be
either the value from CPUA or the value from CPUB - never a combination.

As CSST works on separate "blocks" I don't see how this is possible.

I don't know if channels are block concurrent or not.

http://www.dissensoftware.com