That is covered in Programming Note #5: "[CSST] should only be used
when an interruption between the compare-and-swap operation and the
store operation cannot be tolerated, and other means of disabling for
interruptions are not practical."

Per Programming Note #4, there's no other reason to use it: "The
performance of [CSST] may be significantly slower than the that of
separate [CS, BC, and ST] instructions."

How such a situation develops, I don't know, but evidently it did somewhere.

sas