When I was doing zOS work, sigh, I always rebuilt the SAD environment on &SYSR2 every time I rebuilt my sysres set after maintenance activities.

Mark Jacobs

Jesse 1 Robinson <mailto:jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
September 27, 2017 at 2:13 PM
As a practical matter, the SAD IPL volume needs enough space to contain the SYS1.PAGEDUMP.Vxxxxxx data set, which seems to be 92 tracks at z/OS 2.1. Furthermore, the volume needs to be reachable--not necessarily online--from every MVS image that might conceivably need to take SAD. Depending on your configuration, you may need more than one SAD IPL volume.

In addition the SAD IPL volume should in principle be compatible with the level of z/OS that might use it. Periodically changes are made to SAD by a PTF whose ++HOLD instructs you to rebuild SAD. It could conceivably happen that an older level of z/OS might have trouble with a higher level SAD IPL volume, but I've never seen it.

.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
323-715-0595 Mobile
626-543-6132 Office ⇐=== NEW
robin...@sce.com

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jim Mulder
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:25 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: DLIB volume for SAD

The only restrictions on the SAD IPL device is that it must not contain a page data set for the system being dumped, and it must not be used as an output device for this dump.

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY

Please be alert for any emails that may ask you for login information or directs you to login via a link. If you believe this message is a phish or aren't sure whether this message is trustworthy, please send the original message as an attachment to 'phish...@timeinc.com'.

--

Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service

The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.
Lt. Gen. David Morrison