On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Pew, Curtis G <curtis....@austin.utexas.edu
> wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2017, at 6:04 PM, ste...@copper.net <ste...@copper.net> wrote:
> >
> > I am quite interested in git. And so I thought I would address a
> statement made about COBOL Numbering, and "standard" numbering locations in
> source.
> >
> > There are some products that ship source and do use COBOL numbering
> while others use the 73-80 numbering (both are COBOL based products). In
> either case, they are generally maintained by using IEBUPDTE to insert the
> maintenance and/or USER changes.
> >
> > I know of some user source that is maintained that way because that
> source is used where different "mods" have to be applied (terminology not
> to imply any relationship to SMPE).
> >
> > So, where I am working, I am given to understand that there is a POC
> going with git. If they do not understand our shop, this could cause a
> headache (the stripping or ignoring 1-6 and/or 73-80).
> >
> > In source that I maintain, the change codes are in 73-80, while NUM COB
> is used (ISPF), I don't care about that information -- I care about the
> change codes for what I maintain.
> >
> > But I am just waiting for the chance to use git for ISPF panels,
> skeletons, COBOL source, REXX and ALC code that I am responsible for.
> >
> > I'd like to run into the problems before the applications people have a
> chance to hit it so we can head that all off.
> >
> > And I'd love to know the answers to this before the POC dies. So I am
> very interested in this thread.
>
> I think all the discussion of line numbering is a bit of a red herring.
> You can still use git on files that have line numbers. It may have to keep
> track of “changes” that don’t really change anything, and it may require
> additional storage and processing, but git still works.
>
> In most cases line numbers imbedded in files are relics of older
> technologies, and you’re better off eliminating them. But if there’s a case
> where you do still need them, it won’t prevent current technology from
> doing its thing.

​There is also the "git difftool" facility within git (
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-difftool ). I've not used it myself. But from
my reading, it is a way to have a specialized "diff" function. So you
could, possibly, write a "cobol-diff" which basically only compared columns
7-72. As an example of this, using BASH & process redirection. I can do
this using the GNU diff command like:  diff​ -Z <(cut -b 7-72 file-one.cbl)
<(cut -b 7-72 file-two.cbl)

Some other interesting, to me, article on this:

http://jeetworks.org/setting-up-git-to-use-your-diff-viewer-or-editor-of-choice/

> (In case you couldn’t tell, I’m a big fan of git. I don’t think anyone who
> embraces it will regret it.)
>
> --
> Pew, Curtis G
> curtis....@austin.utexas.edu
> ITS Systems/Core/Administrative Services

I just child proofed my house.
But the kids still manage to get in.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown