On 11/10/2017 11:21 AM, ste...@copper.net wrote:
So how does one merge fixes into source if the "source" numbering is removed?
The fixes may issue delete of lines, addition of lines and replace of lines and there may
be multiple delta decks to be applied anytime one wants to do changes to the source. This
is not a spec I'm providing, this is a requirement I would have to live with.

 From what you say, diff and patch will not know or understand where the source
being supplied to update the original source goes.

If you are using IEBUPDTE to merge files I would expect your numbering would be very stable, so there would not be many updates due to renumbering.

But git isn't an update tool, it is a tool to store revisions of files. Updating (whether via manual edit, IEBUPDTE or any other process) is done outside of git and then the change is committed to git.

You can then retrieve previous versions, compare the current version to any previous version etc. If you distribute changes via IEBUPDTE, you could get any 2 versions out of git and generate an IEBUPDTE deck to go from one to the other.

You can generate patches, but I think it would be unusual because the patch is very dependent on being applied to a specific revision of the source, and manual patching makes tracking revisions a manual process. You have the same problem with IEBUPDTE - you need an external way to track the version of the file you are applying the update to (e.g. SMP/E).

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software