I’ve always said that what we need on TSO is Open ObjectREXX - but with the
strong proviso it can be used as a drop-in for traditional REXX. That means:

1) It can script commands.

2) Things that invoke the REXX interpreter can invoke it in the same way.

Note: I’m not sure NetRexx is actually required.

Cheers, Martin

Sent from my iPad

> On 27 Oct 2017, at 07:48, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Peter Farley wrote:
>> IMHO it isn't "... consuming non-trivial peak resources running their REXX
>> scripts in TSO/ISPF" that is the issue for alternatives like Netrexx.
>
> OK, then what *is* the requirement?
>
>> It is the ability to use TSO facilities (like EXECIO, LISTDSI, etc.) and
> ISPF
>> utilities like the LMMxxxx routines and other "command" environments that
> is
>> the issue.
>
> Yes, and we have REXX for that, interpreted and compiled, and it's lovely
> or at least lovable. There's even some REXX support in IBM Developer for Z,
> as a notable example. Where's the unmet need, the gap?
>
> Did we somehow arrive at a generalized requirement to be able to access
> particular TSO/ISPF features from *other* programming languages that are
> not REXX, in a discussion about JITs, because of the functional utility
> some z/OS system programmers desire to use other programming languages
> besides REXX for scripts in TSO/ISPF?
>
> OK, if I've understood so far, which other programming language(s)? Python,
> Perl, Java, JavaScript, something else?
>
> I'm just asking the "Why?" questions, that's all. Not opposed! I'm
> intrigued, actually, which is why I'm asking.

> Timothy Sipples
> IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
> E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.