On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 10:12 AM, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 27/10/2017 9:47 PM, Walt Farrell wrote:
>
>> Did we somehow arrive at a generalized requirement to be able to access
>>> particular TSO/ISPF features from*other*  programming languages that are
>>> not REXX, in a discussion about JITs, because of the functional utility
>>> some z/OS system programmers desire to use other programming languages
>>> besides REXX for scripts in TSO/ISPF?
>>>
>> I think we arrived at this idea because someone suggested it would be
>> nice if the open-sourced JIT technology that started this thread could be
>> applied to REXX. Then someone else said we don't really need that, because
>> NetREXX fulfills the desire to have REXX code that can be JITted. But then
>> someone else pointed out that NetREXX can't do all the same kinds of things
>> that REXX can, especially with respect to TSO and ISPF integration.
>>
>> Therefore, as NetREXX can't substitute for REXX, we still have the desire
>> (if, perhaps, not the need) for a true classic REXX that can make use of
>> the JIT technology.
>>

> Best post in this thread! We want a JIT for classic REXX so it can run at
> speeds similar to compiled languages.

​I'd vote "for" that. Of course, the standard IBM response will be given:
"How much are you willing to pay us to do that?" ​and "What do you want us
to _not_ do in order to free up the resources to re-architect and rewrite
classic z/OS TSO REXX from ??? into C++ and use a virtual machine in order
to be able to use the JIT?"

--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove
it.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown