On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Frank Swarbrick <
frank.swarbr...@outlook.com> wrote:

> I have a heavy, perhaps unjustified prejudice, against Java and the JVM.
> I like "native compiled" languages, and I am very happy that IBM is looking
> to have Swift as another native compiled language on z/OS.

The z/OS Java SDK has both JIT and AOT compilation from java byte codes to
native machine instructions.  Like it now? ;-)

I think that the performance of z/OS Java is pretty good.
My complaints:
- on z/OS, the startup costs (class loading and JITing time) required to
get a big application up and running efficiently.   It has gotten better
though.
- the overhead and complexity of JNI

To generalize, Java applications are big and slow because of how they are
written - programmers glue together a bunch of very large frameworks
without much concern for resource usage.
In the past, there weren't decent profilers on z/OS, which makes this
worse.   I haven't tried the new sampling profiler support for z/OS Java
yet  ("Health Center") - has anyone?

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com