On 30/11/2017 9:11 AM, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
I've never heard of Kotlin, but it seems to me that Android would be better off
supporting Swift before it goes another direction.  Or does it already support
Swift?

The three supported programming languages on Android are Java, Kotlin and C/C++ for native code. Android runs Googles Dalvik JVM so it requires a JVM language. For z/OS I would choose Kotlin over Swift any day of the week. It's a no brainer really, it can access the gargantuan Java eco-system and it runs on a zIIP. The languages are very similar http://nilhcem.com/swift-is-like-kotlin/.

________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of David
Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:15 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SAS - DB2 conversion to Java

On 29/11/2017 8:00 AM, Andrew Rowley wrote:
- I think the reporting is SQL based? SMF data was not designed to be
queried using SQL. I have been down that path. On the other hand, Java
classes are beautiful for working with SMF data (not quite as nice as
C# but still very good).
If you like C# you should take a look at Kotlin, which is even better
and runs on the JVM. It's quickly becoming the language of choice for
Android developers which is no surprise giving it's similarities to
Swift
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/05/android-announces-support-for-kotlin.html.

Java doesn't feel like a new language. It lacks features introduced in
other languages over a decade ago. Java 10 introduces type inference but
it's too little too late. Check out Kotlins Nullable feature. No more
NullPointerExceptions, yay! data classes, properties, a really powerful
lambda syntax and seamless Java interop make it a joy to program in. The
learning curve for Java programmers is small. It took me a couple of
days which is significantly less then the far more complex Scala which I
have yet to completely master.