On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 14:46:06 -0600, Kirk Wolf wrote:

>We always do a full-replace.  For a <20MB install that is 95% Unix files,
>this makes sense since we have a automated process that does builds and I
>wouldn't want to introduce human errors by crafting partial replacements
>each time.
>
>> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
>>
>> > The point to requiring use of SMP is not to satisfy a checklist, but to
>> > provide certain capabilities, e.g., tracking changes,  installing fixes
>> > without having to do a "level set", ...

I'm trying to envision a service contract written to prohibit "level set"s.
This would require that each PTF:
o Have no PRErequisites
o Repair (only) the defect the customer reported.
o Introduce no additional defects.
o Introduce no other behavioral changes.  In particular, it must repair
  no defects other than the one the customer reported.

That would be perceived as paradise by Ed G.

--gil