From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of ANIL KUMAR
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 11:56 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: RSU maintenance strategy - Need expert suggestions

This email originated from outside of the organization.

Hi All,

I needed expert suggestions on following the RSU maintenance strategy for
z/OS , associated ISV products , DB2 etc. Could you please let me know

1) How many times in a year do we need to apply the maintenance to z/os ,
ISV products , DB2 etc.
2) How to decide which ones to be applied. (latest RSU)
3) Whether the HIPERs included also be applied , even though we have not
encountered the specific issues in out shop.

So far in the account I was working for , it was not a strict rule to apply
maintenance be it z/OS or DB2 or associated ISV product. Infact I do not
remember any maintenance being applied to DB2 unless it was a major upgrade
for which the pre-req was needed. Even for ISV's if they are running fine,
then no action was taken.

However for a different shop , we have been asked to come up with the best
approach on whats needs to be done. If we keep updating the maintenance
then 1 FTE job will be consumed for the work for a year.

Hence needed some advise on what strategy is being used by different shops
and what is the best practice. Please advise.

If any documents etc are available please point me to them and I shall
read. Sincerely hoping to get some advise. Thanks.