Mark,

> On Dec 9, 2017, at 12:32 PM, Mark Zelden <m...@mzelden.com> wrote:
>
> And then you just apply everything that turns up in MISSINGFIX for
> FIXCAT(*) along with the RSU maintenance?
>
> Why install a 100% of missing maintenance specific to some hardware or
> hardware
> feature you don't have or for some function you aren't using or planning to
> use
> ahead of the time it has been fully tested via CST and shows up with an RSU
> sourceid?
> What's to gain? To me it just seems more likely you could install a PTF that
> will end
> up PE'd.
>
> Yes, RSU incorporates a "lot of PTFs that are not necessarily critical" - but
> that's the
> point of putting on general preventive maintenance.   However, it also does
> include critical maintenance as well - PE fixes, HIPERs and security /
> integrity.
>
> I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
>
> Regards,

I will go along with you on this one. Once in a while you will find a chain so
long it makes you ill. A long time ago, I chased a chain that had 3500 (thats
right) 3500 ptfs waiting to go on because of one fix.  I think that is when my
hair color started to turn gray. I can see chasing 3 or 4 PTF’s but 3500 was
out off the park for me.
To get to your other points, I do not lay back and wait, everyday I am working
I look for the hipers and the security/Integrity fixes on IBMLINK. I like to be
proactive in this area as one time we had an auditor that thought he would get
one over on me. He sent an email to the VP and asked if we had this specific
PTF on as he thought it was important. The VP passes it on down the line to me.
I looked it up and it didn’t even pertain to our system, so I thought I would
do him one better and found the PTF in question and told him in English that
the PTF did NOT involve our system but this PTF did. I did a cut and paste into
the email of the cover letter and the pre’s and Co’s and that PTF had been on
the system for 6 months. I then said to him in the future please call or email
me directly so we didn’t tie up management in issues that we could handle
quicker and more completely via email/phone call as we were there to serve him.
That stopped the ambush’s. A few weeks later I get an email and didn’t reply to
him the same day but the next day I replied again that the fix was not for our
system but this one was and again I told him it had been on for 7 months. He
tried it once more and I told him the same story except this one had been on a
year. I smelled something fishy, I dropped by his desk when he wasn’t there and
asked his team mate what was going on with these requests and he told me that
VP of Auditing had become friends with another auditor in another shop and the
*other* auditor was trying for a promotion and that he had some MVS sysprog
feeding him these PTF numbers.

Ed