__jobname(), __stepname() etc are not documented in the
 XL C/C++ Runtime Library Reference Version 2 Release 2 SC14
manual. Where are they documented?

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Thomas David Rivers
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:19 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: C code to get running job name.

John McKown wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:19 AM, Thomas David Rivers <riv...@dignus.com>
>wrote:
>

>>In Systems/C , this is simply:
>>
>>   #include <machine/tiot.h>
>>   #include <stdio.h>
>>
>>  main()
>>  {
>>     printf("Job name is %s\n", __jobname());
>>  }
>>

>That is a nice enhancement for the C language under z/OS. As a general
>rule, I _try_ to avoid any functions which start with one or two
>underscores. These are generally "reserved" for the implementer and so may
>not be available on a different compiler. The __jobname() is a nice example
>of a reasonable extension for z/OS, or z/VSE. Another nice one might be
>__userid() to return the RACF id under which the process is running. ​

Hi John,

 Yes - identifiers that begin with double-underscore are reserved
 for the C implementation; that's why our implementation uses
 those (to avoid conflicts.)

 Along with __jobname(), we have:

    __stepname()
    __procname()
    __get_cpuid()
    __userid()

  which can make it very handy indeed.   The Dignus C library
 manual has more details.

      - Dave R. -

--
riv...@dignus.com                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it
to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.