On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 04:46:33 +0000, Craig Pace wrote:

>I always kept a SERVICE copy of the filesystems that were IBM related and then
>applied and that is what SMP/E pointed to.  Each shop usually has what works
>best for them, but below are the two main ways that I have done it.
>
>1)  Less Work, but Less Control (from SMP/E that is if someone bypasses SMP/E).
>
>Have a single set of RESVOLs, DLIBVOLs and USS Filesystem libraries that SMP/E
>points toward.  If you have a stand-along Tech LPAR or Sandbox, have the
>ability to IPL from this only for validation, but I try to keep this just for
>SMP/E only!
>
>2)  More Work/More SME/E Control
>
>Have a Tech set of SMP/E SYSRES, DLIB and USS Filesystems.  Applied all
>initial maintenance (RECEIVE, APPLY, ACCEPT) to this as normal processing
>
>Have a separate SMP/E SYSRES, DLIB and USS Filesystems per shared (or single)
>environment.  Once maintenance is validated within the Tech environment, you
>can run SMP/E compares between the Tech and next environment to dynamically
>create the required SMP/E input statement to APPLY and/or ACCEPT as needed.

Or, my preference:
3)  More DASD, more flexibility

Clone SYSRES, DLIB and USS Filesystems as needed. Choose 4 or 5 unique
characters for each that will become part of the SYSRES VOLSER(s), DLIB
VOLSER(s), Target zone name, and Distribution zone name. The zFS filesystem
name includes the SYSRES VOLSER as part of the name and it is mounted using
&SYSR1. DDDEFs in target zone TZONE for Unix paths are mounted at
/SERVICE/TZONE and /SERVICE is automount managed, so that the correct
Filesystem is always used.

When a SYSRES, DLIB and USS Filesystem set is no longer needed, get rid of it.

Setting this all up is a bit of work, but once done, it works very well.

--
Tom Marchant