On 3/27/18, 1:31 PM, "IBM Mainframe Discussion List on behalf of Christian
Borntraeger" <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU on behalf of borntrae...@de.ibm.com>
wrote:
> For Linux there is at least some support. There is the hmcdrv module and the
> hmcdrvfs fuse tool in the s390-tools. I do not know how well this works and
> if I remember correctly you have to have the LPAR authorized for that access.

It's very slow and painful to use. I don't think I'd want to rely on it for any
big files; it's seems to be very load sensitive and there's little or no error
correction. You might have some luck by using the FTP FUSE module from Linux
(which is also painfully slow, but it has some error checking and progress
monitoring stuff built into it so it's not impossible to use). You'd probably
have better luck enabling a NFS server from the underlying Linux system on the
HMC if you were going to do any large file transfers; that would make it
available from any OS that understands NFS. I'm pretty sure nothing in z/OS
knows how to use it now, though and CP can't mount it as a volume.

Hmm. I wonder if VM could be taught to treat it as a unformatted FBA device,
and then use something like the EXT2 tools Leland wrote a long time ago to
access files on it. I don't think IBM would support it, but it might work.