Jantje wrote:

>Commas at the beginning or at the end makes no difference... :

As far as the language syntax goes, this is a true statement.  As far as
maintainability goes, that is another story.  When I continue a statement,
I prefer to break between arguments, as there is typically less of language
semantic connection between arguments than within argument.

Assuming we're not talking about quoted commas, which are entirely
different animals, I respectfully disagree for these reasons:

   1. Two commas at the end of a line are clearly the end of an argument
   within a continued statement.  A single comma at the end of a line is a
   simple continuation.
   2. Putting the argument delimiting comma at the beginning of a line
   means that you have to remember to look at the beginning of the next line.
   That's easy to forget/miss if you are skimming.
   3. If you rearrange a statement, you can replace a line without a
   leading comma with one that has such, and vice versa, with avoidable and/or
   disastrous results.
   4. To the best of my knowledge, most experienced REXX programmer's put
   an argument delimiting comma at the end of the line (followed by the
   continuation comma).  The more code you write (in a language) the more you
   recognize which subtle things are more error prone and which are less so,
   in that language.

Just my 2 cents.

OREXXMan
JCL is the buggy whip of 21st century computing.
We want Pipelines in the z/OS base.