On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 3:42 AM, Giliad Wilf <
000000d50942efa9-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm configuring a new system in Israel and wish to pick the correct
> timezone for our location, in terms of z/OS USS.

​
​Basically, here is the source for the answer:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.bpxa500/bpxa50065.htm
​

> Our system has been built abroad using CST6CDT, and shipped to us in the
> form of some 32 dumped 3390-9 volume images.
>
> Now I wonder whether or not will IST2IDT be accepted by z/OS USS if placed
> in '/etc/init.options' and '/etc/profile' files.

​Yes, but it is wrong. It should be IST-2IDT.​ The "-2" says "East". Use of
"2" say "West" -- somewhere in the Atlantic, I guess.

> Are there any additional locations to update, aside from CLOCKxx's
> TIMEZONE parameter, which I'm going to change from 'W.06.00.00' to
> 'E.02.00.00'?

​I also have the timezone in the LE parameters member of PARMLIB. I.e.
CEEPRM00. LE has the concept of "environment variables" which is similar to
UNIX. So I set the TZ variable for LE as well. I'm not sure if this is
required or not. Example:

/* NONCICS LE PARMS */
CEEDOPT(
  ALL31(OFF),
  STACK(,,BELOW)
  CBLQDA(OFF),
  COUNTRY(US),
  DEBUG,
  DYNDUMP(*USERID,DYNAMIC,NOTDUMP),
*  ENVAR('TZ=CST6CDT'),*
  LIBSTACK(8K,4K,FREE),
  STORAGE(NONE,NONE,NONE,8K)
 )
/* CICS LE PARMS */
CEECOPT(
  ALL31(OFF),
  STACK(,,BELOW),
  STORAGE(00,NONE,NONE,0K)
 )
/* 64 BIT GROUP */
CELQDOPT(
 )​

​So far, the above has a least not cause any problems.​

> Our z/OS runs on top of z/VM and Linux zPDT app., which show both correct
> UTC value, but use a TZ that appears to be the equivalent of EST5EDT.
>
> I'm not going to meddle with zPDT or with z/VM. Only with z/OS.
>
> Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

​Bottom line: you have an error. IST2IDT is for W.02.00.00 not "east". You
need TZ=IST-2IDT as an example below shows

==== example UNIX shell transcript from z/OS 1.12

$
printenv TZ;date
CST6CDT
Mon Apr 23 07:05:29 CDT 2018
$
export TZ=IST-2IDT;printenv TZ;date
IST-2IDT
Mon Apr 23 15:05:55 IDT 2018
LIH1:TSH009:/home/tsh009$

====
​
So, in /etc/init.options, I think you need the line:

-e TZ=IST-2IDT

And somewhere in /etc/profile, a line like:

export TZ=IST-2IDT

Along with the changes mentioned in CLOCKnn, CEEPRMnn.

Shalom,

--
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown