On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 19:08:16 +0800, Timothy Sipples wrote:

>May I ask a couple "naive" and slightly impolite questions here?
>Have you looked into what youc colleagues have been doing for the past 20+
>years? How are the other parts of your organization coping? They are,
>somehow, and they have been for literally decades. Maybe somebody could
>point out that fact?

I kinda wonder.  NDA says we'll never know.  Maybe they have nothing on their
desks but real 3278s.

And what feeds their z?  Hordes of data entry people transcribing from paper via
real 3278s, all inside the security perimeter?  And what goes out?

I'm trying to envision.

>No, that's just not correct. You *can* put stickers on CDs and DVDs! Avery
>is among the many vendors that sell them. See here for example:
>
>https://www.avery.com/products/labels/usage/cd-~-dvd-labels-~-inserts

Fun when they come loose in the drive.

> ... In fact, there are some inkjet printers that can print *directly*
>onto discs. Then you don't even have to attach labels! See here for
>example:
>
>https://epson.com/direct-cd-dvd-printing

Better.  But then you can't re-use the CD-RW.

>You can even buy genuine Sharpie brand pens to write directly on discs:
>
>https://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Permanent-Markers-Black-37035PP/dp/B000PXJ26A

Fun fact:  The optical recordiing medium is near the top surface of the CD, not
near the bottom where the laser is.  This means any scratches are out of focus.

-- gil