Scott Chapman wrote:
>A potential issue is that some systems only have a single
>zIIP.... My personal belief is that given the amount of work
>that's zIIP eligible today, most systems should have at least
>2 zIIPs....

I would add an important footnote. The current and prior model machine
generations have zIIP engines that are capable of simultaneous
multithreading (SMT). To a first order approximation anyway, one zIIP now
behaves like two when SMT is enabled. Even if you have one zIIP, enabling
SMT2 could be a reasonable way to get the "rule of thumb pair" you
describe.

SMT2 support for zIIPs is available in z/OS 2.1 and higher on IBM z13
machines. Please refer to APARs OA43622 and OA43366.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE,
Multi-Geography
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com