This seems to come up a lot.

I'm going to start by taking the opposite tack: you probably shouldn't run your
GCPs at 90-100% busy either. Busier CPUs are generally going to have more cache
contention which means the work is generally going to run "somewhat" less
efficiently (i.e. more CPU time / unit of work) than if the CPUs were running
less busy. Apparently some IBMer at some point measured that as a 4% increase
in CPU time / unit of work per 10% increase in overall utilization. Alas I have
no further details about the source of that number. I believe that it's at
least directionally correct though.

Now if you have a mix of different importances / priorities for the work that
is driving the machine to 100% busy, then likely the most (but not only)
impacted work is the lower importance work. So maybe that's ok. But, in all
likelihood, if the machine had more capacity and was running at only say 70%
busy, then likely the same work would consume fewer MSUs. Which may be a good
thing.

From purely a performance perspective, running less busy is always better as
there's less chance for queueing for a processor. But rarely is "as fast as
possible" the required and most cost effective answer.

But this question is about zIIPs. But zIIPs are the same processors as GCPs and
the aforementioned discussion is mostly the same: you can run the zIIPs busy,
but things may not be as efficient. Of course "less efficient" matters a little
less on the zIIPs given that the hardware is cheaper and they don't increase
software costs.

The primary issue as I see it comes in where the zIIPs are running busier than
the GCPs and so work is more delayed trying to get through the zIIP queue than
if they had been just dispatched directly to the GCP. If that work is very
important work (such as perhaps DB2 system tasks) then that could have
relatively widespread negative impacts. Are those impacts greater than if there
were no zIIPs in the configuration at all and the GCPs were running a similarly
busy level? Maybe a bit due to the extra overhead of (unsuccessfully)
scheduling work onto the zIIP.

But I believe the potential for harm is very situation dependent. In particular
with the way the rules are today, and with the mix of the different workloads
that are zIIP eligible, if you have zIIP capacity (both in terms of MIPS and
engines) greater or equal to your GCP capacity, I'm hard pressed to believe
that there's a significant risk to running the zIIPs as busy as you're
comfortable running your GCPs. But my belief is also that many are comfortable
running their GCPs hotter than is really ideal.

In Kathy Walsh's presentation from Orlando one of her slides has the statement:
"Can run zIIPs very busy IF there are multiple classes of work with different
response time objectives, but watch IIPCP time". I think that's a very
reasonable statement. If you're starting to see significant crossover from the
zIIPs to the GCPs, you're probably running the zIIPs too busy for that
particular workload. Note that the crossover amounts are not necessarily
well-correlated with zIIP busy, although generally when zIIPs are busy they are
more likely to see significant crossover.

A potential issue is that some systems only have a single zIIP. When you have a
single CP, your threshold for where you'll start feeling pain is significantly
lower vs. having evern 2 CPs. The situation of having a 710 with a single zIIP
is a significantly different situation than having a say a 505 with 4 zIIPs.
I'm going to be a lot more concerned about zIIP utilization in the former vs.
the latter. In the former, that zIIP very well might become a bottleneck that
could be more problematic than not having a zIIP at all. That would seem to be
much less likely in the second case.

My personal belief is that given the amount of work that's zIIP eligible today,
most systems should have at least 2 zIIPs, and ideally the system should have
zIIP capacity at least similar to the GCP capacity. Yes, there's a hardware
cost to that, but in the grand scheme of things, the costs are not nearly as
significant as GCP capacity, so err on the side of having too much zIIP
capacity. That would be an interesting study: what's common ratio of zIIP
capacity to GCP capacity? I suspect that that ratio has been creeping up over
the years.

Scott Chapman