>> Is it? If you think about Java, maybe. But when it comes to workload such as
>> DB2, Sort, Monitors, that have shifted more and more of its task towards
>> zIIPs, isn't this still the same workload?
>> --
>> Peter Hunkeler
>
>The zIIP-eligible criteria for choosing a subset of  tasks to run on
zIIP engines, as I understand it, has nothing to do with installation
defined service classes but is totally  based on IBM marketing
strategy.  There is no reason to expect the mix of tasks eligible for
zIIP resources to have the same service-class mix and CPU/IO usage
patterns as those restricted at that same time to CP resources --the
zIIP utilization may even peak at a totally different time of day.  The
total system workload may be the same as before things were made zIIP
eligible, but with artificial separation into those that prefer a zIIP
and those that must run on a CP, that workload is now artificially
subdivided into two distinct and different workload subsets when
competing for CPU resources.  If zIIP utilization forces something that
would normally run on zIIP onto a CP, it is now competing for CPU
resources with a different subset of that total workload, and it would
be surprising if that shift didn't affect response time.

Didn't think that way when I read your previous statement. I now see what you
meant and I agree. Very good point. Thanks.

--
Peter Hunkeler