Hi,

I've been reading this thread with some interest and it's easy to come up with
loads of arguments why updating datasets with ISPF is better as it works and
has been the way it's been done since before I started in the seventies.
Likewise for VM and VSE although I haven't had contact with those for many a
year.  However, this is usually not the best argument for anything and denies
progress.

For me, I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter on the technicalities
so long as I can do the equivalent of the ISPF COMP command with MD/MDD/D/DD.
This shows me what changes I am about to make and whether they really are the
changes I meant to make  This covers others updating the dataset as well as my
own typos.  Even with ISPF locking on the dataset, sometimes I've made updates
to copies of many members in many PDS's days in advance of a really big change
so it can happen that someone else has made a change in the intervening time.
COMP will detect that so I can add other's changes to mine at the last minute.

I'd also need to be able to get back to the earlier versions without actually
having a network.  When we test we can sometimes find the OSA consoles the only
thing working.  A quick ISPF edit plus IPL can usually correct such issues.
Imagine messing up some of the main system PROCs such as VTAM.  I'd need to
edit the pack from another system.  All is possible with ISPF.

Regards,
Alan Watthey