On 10 September 2018 at 13:01, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:
> What the heck value do you suppose this should be for a Comm Server error?
>
> File_System_type
> Supplied parameter
> Type:
> Character string
> Character set:
> Printable characters
> Length:
> 8 bytes
> The name of a field that contains the 8-character file system type name. The
> file system type name matches the TYPE operand that was specified on the
> FILESYSTYPE statement, or the NAME operand of the SUBFILESYSTYPE statement
> that defined this physical file system in the BPXPRMxx parmlib member.

You're talking of calling pfsctl() with the PC#ErrorText command? In
this case the File_System_type is not used. I usually use "Kernel" as
a reminder of who's providing the answer.

I agree that the whole thing is ill documented, and I've complained
about it for years, with no results.

Thera are a couple of related gotchas:

1) Not all errno2 values come from the Unix kernel. Some are from LE,
and some are from odd places like DADSM. The BPXMTEXT exec triages
based on some magic values, and for some of the input values returns a
hard-coded message. You could copy that logic.

2) If your process is not dubbed, and cannot be for some reason (RACF
config error, no UID, no GID, etc.) then you can't use pfsctl(). So in
our products we've hard coded a short list of message texts that (we
think) cover all these cases. This probably won't arise in your case
since you're up and running, but we've found it very useful when the
first Unix call fails near startup. I asked IBM if they would consider
allowing just this command of pfsctl() to run without being dubbed,
and was told "no way".

3) Most of the TCP/IP errnos return an errno2 of 0, and if you
exhaustively use PC#ErrorText with all the combinations of PC#EtDesc,
PC#EtAction, PC#EtModname, PC#EtReason, PC#EtErrno you may end up with
a number of "The return code value describes
the error", which doesn't help anyone. And there is at least one other
errno2 that has similar text: JRTPCERROR (657) says "Tcp returned an
error identified by the return code". Sigh...

Tony H.