OK, a few clues.

bpxmtext is, as others have pointed out, a rexx exec. In at least some cases it
turns around and calls another rexx exec, edcmtext. That, in turn winds up
looking at this module: CEE.SCEERUN(EDCEJR). That, finally, contains message
text. The rexx is (to me, a non-rexx programmer) somewhat inscrutable. Just
groveling over a binary copy of CEE.SCEERUN(EDCEJR) suggests that it has some
sort of index table at the front, followed by the actual message texts.

And that's all I have time for today (all of 5 minutes...). Maybe in a few more
days I can dig deeper.

Would an API have been SO hard? Grrrr....

-- Jerry