From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2018 5:06 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: SORT not behaving consistently

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 20:36:58 +0000, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:

>OK, I'm simmering down. Here's my concern: I own the SORT product; I own the
>CEC; I own the DASD. If I change any of those things and the user's output
>differs, then I'm on the spot to explain why. The explanation may not be
>difficult, but if a user presses with 'why didn't you tell us this would
>happen', I'm on the defensive for an outcome I can't control or even
>anticipate. I don't like being on the defensive. You don't score points on
>defense even if you survive to battle another day. OK, I'm done.

I was once a user of a site that had a chargeback policy and tried
(desperately) to make the charge for any job repeatable, regardless
of background system load, to avoid "Why didn't you tell us this
would happen?"  Impossible.  For example, who pays for paging
I/O?  If you don't charge for it, you're motivating prodigal REGION
use.  They seemed to have the misguided idea that making the
formula complicated enough would make it repeatable.

-- gil