Not jumping on Ed Jaffe or Peter Relson or any of the other thoughtful and
helpful responders in this email chain, but it still rankles me that there are
no good examples anywhere (not at IBM and not at CBT) for programmers to review
that show exactly how to set up and use "SRB to the other address space and
PC-ss back to the requesting address space" or any similarly sophisticated
system-level application coding technique.

Why is system-level application coding made an obscure mystery to which only
IBM and (some) ISV's have access?  Good examples that show how to "do the right
thing" would avoid an awful lot of dangerous experimentation.  "Security
through obscurity" is, I think all here would agree. NOT a good thing.

If you don't show programmers how to do it right, you can't really yell at them
for not doing so.

Maybe if the ISV's got together (at SHARE maybe?) they could agree on
publishing stripped-down HOWTO examples based on the work they have already
done to "do the right thing".  That way no one ISV is alone in exposing any
potentially valuable intellectual property.

And of course IBM really ought to be publishing good examples too, but I
suspect the answer to that is the usual "what business justification can you
show to make it a profitable exercise to spend valuable and scarce resources
doing?".

How about helping your customers not to give themselves serious trouble that
you could help them avoid?

Just my $0.02USD worth.

Peter