On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 18:13:30 +0000, Farley, Peter X23353
(peter.far...@broadridge.com) wrote about "Why are sophisticated
system-level coding examples not available? [was: RE: Recommended method
for accessing secondary access spaces]" (in
<f6dfa267dd2a448b881a732dbbcc3...@clipswexmaa4.bsg.ad.adp.com>):

> Not jumping on Ed Jaffe or Peter Relson or any of the other thoughtful
> and helpful responders in this email chain, but it still rankles me
> that there are no good examples anywhere (not at IBM and not at CBT)
> for programmers to review that show exactly how to set up and use "SRB
> to the other address space and PC-ss back to the requesting address
> space" or any similarly sophisticated system-level application coding
> technique.
>
> Why is system-level application coding made an obscure mystery to which
> only IBM and (some) ISV's have access?  Good examples that show how to
> "do the right thing" would avoid an awful lot of dangerous experimentation.
> "Security through obscurity" is, I think all here would agree. NOT a good
> thing.

I can offer an opinion based on my years as a developer for various ISVs.

Each ISV considers its more sophisticated code to be some kind of magic
joojoo that it wants to keep private as a competitive advantage. The
curious part is, most developers have worked for a variety of ISVs and
have spread the magic as they went, so the slick code tended to be
fairly similar in all the ISV companies.

I think most of the low-level techniques were derived from code seen on
the IBM-supplied microfiche (remember that?) that arrived with MVS
installation media. It would benefit the mainframe industry if
microfiche (or a more modern medium) were reinstated. There are no
longer any other platform-level vendors in mainframes any more, so
nobody is going to bootleg z/OS as their own operating system.
--
Regards,

Dave  [RLU #314465]
david.w.n...@googlemail.com (David W Noon)