Best Regards,
Doug

.

On Nov 12, 2018, at 19:55, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

The profit comes from the potential for increased utility for the platform.
It's hard to connect specific dots "if you show Peter Farley how to do DUCT
TRAP somewhere someone will buy another z box" but it is not hard to imagine
the ultimate connection.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Farley, Peter x23353
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2018 3:26 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Why are sophisticated system-level coding examples not
available? [was: RE: Recommended method for accessing secondary access
spaces]

Then the not-yet-available examples ought to include all the error recovery
infrastructure needed to assure the least system impact possible.

Like the brief discussions I had with others on this list a few years back
about code to set the DUCT TRAP fields so that TRAP and COMPARE-AND-TRAP
instructions would work as architected.  IIRC, the conversation went
something like this:

"Use PC-ss with a server address space that schedules an SRB in your address
space to do that, but really, really don't do that because there's no system
support for it."
"When will there be system support for it?"
"What's the business justification for expending those scarce resources?"
Etc., etc.

An example that showed how to safely set and unset the DUCT TRAP fields with
all the attendant recovery infrastructure needed would be a lovely,
practical example to have available.  Not that I'm holding my breath waiting
for it to appear.

This set of knowledge isn't unknowable, only obscure and esoteric.  IMHO,
just hiding it doesn't serve the community or the employers who pay us.

Why does there always have to be profit in spreading knowledge?

But I have always known that I am a cockeyed optimist about the free
availability of knowledge, so I already know the answer to that question
even if I don't like it much.

Peter