While I really wish IBM really would have some better examples than what is in
SAMPLIB and SHASSRCE, you really can learn most of what you will need from
manuals and the rest of it is (unfortunately for me) trial and error.  When you
are developing Systems programming code, if you son'e have an LPAR that you can
break (a lot) then you really can benefit from purchasing the ZPDT and run your
own copy.  There is no substitute for being able to test your systems
programming code.  Unlike a applications programmer, a little mistake on our
part can really ruin an LPAR quite effectively.

Brian