Speaking as a vendor.

There are several interfaces that I had to invest a *lot* of time to get working right. And using those interfaces is what makes my products efficient and market worthy.

If I were to publish some of my interface code, some new guy would have 75% of a product that can compete with my product. In other words, what I spend a man-year bringing to market, he can bring to market in just 3 man-months because he used my code.

I don't mind market competition, but I do mind competing against my own code.

And, that is just the business facts.

On the flip side, I do share code that is small or that I acquired from someone else. As an example, I just made an update to a program 'found on the internet' that was written by someone who has passed away. This update was made for a specific vendor and is code that they will offer to their clients. I insisted that they ship both the unchanged source code and the new source code (since I had only changed about 20 lines).

Another point:
If you look at my web site and the free programs, you will find several TCP/IP Client and Server programs in Cobol.
http://dinomasters.com/coolstuff
I help people a lot with this type of programming. But, I remember the case where someone asked my help on a program that a previous programmer had written. When he sent me the code, it was one of my samples with just my name removed and the previous programmer's name added. I even found my emails with the previous employee helping him understand the programs. And, he told everybody the code was his (per the guy that I helped later). That stinks. [The bug was already corrected on my web site and available for download.]

Tony Thigpen