On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 23:52:07 -0600, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>I believe otherwise.  In order to avoid discontinuities at leap seconds of the
>sort
>that cause network failures:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second#Examples_of_problems_associated_with_the_leap_second
>the TOD clock runs (**at IBM's strong recommendation**) at a constant rate,
>TAI - 10 seconds.  (I know no clear documentation of this (can someone help
>me?),
>but inferred it by converting the hex values in the PoOps.)

Ah!  Found it!

4.6.1.5 "z/Architecture Principles of Operation" IBM Library Server

https://www.ibm.com/support/libraryserver_os390/BOOKS/DZ9ZR003/4.6.1.5?SHELF=ez2vse00&DT=20040504121320
 4.6.1.5 TOD Programmable Register
    For the same reasons, conversion between ETR time and UTC does not take
    into consideration the time adjustments prior to 1972, and, thus, ETR time
    differs from TAI by a fixed amount of 10 seconds. Because of the occurrence
    of 22 leap seconds, UTC now is behind TAI by 32 seconds.

-- gil