So we conclude that Wayne's private area below 16M is too small for
running this utility.

Regardless of that, since an 8M private area is not bizarre (1M would be
bizarre), I would expect the documentation for the CICS utility program to
include the minimum private area size below 16M  required in order to run
it.

I suggest that you ask (strongly) that that information be provided. It is
an environmental requirement for the utility. And look at all the time and
resource (both customer and IBM) that has already been wasted because of
the lack of that information.

Maybe they'll find that someone accidentally, years ago, introduced an
RMODE 24 CSECT into the loadmod without needing it to be so and that
dragged the whole loadmod below 16M when it didn't need to and that the
module really should be above 16M. We had that happen for an LPA module,
but it didn't take too long before someone noticed it.

Tom M mentioned x'7FA000'. If you count the x'2000' PSA (I don't know if
you should or should not), 8M is correct. That doesn't mean that all 8M is
available to a program (think TCBs and RBs). The area x'2000'-x'5FFF' is
the system region, but it is private.  So having a private area of 8M
doesn't mean that you could do a GETMAIN for 8M.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design