I too was surprised at "no conditional GETMAINs". No conditional FREEMAINs
I can understand.

As to "expectations", when you're talking about what can be conveyed with
8 characters (4 for COND, 1 for equal, 3 for YES), or for just about
anything else, you really should not "expect" much other than that things
will behave as documented. You made an assumption. Was it an unreasonable
assumption? No. But it was an assumption nevertheless. And it happened not
to be a correct one.

There's always room for documentation improvement. As I said, COND=YES
means for the most part, return code instead of abend when "no storage
available". If that is not clear in the doc, it should be made so. No one
would choose document all the specific reasons that could be other than
"no storage available".

We're talking about the STORAGE macro (since GETMAIN does not have a COND
keyword, only a COND indicator, such as the "C" in "RC"). Please re-read
the documentation and comment on problems with that documentation, not
making assumptions that there is no such documentation about the behavior
of COND=YES.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design