On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 23:47:09 -0500, Jim Mulder wrote:

>> If I were designing
>> FREEMAIN from scratch, I would drop the LENGTH and just always free
>> the entire block. Yes, you would lose the ability to free half of a
>> buffer -- but gain some simplicity of design, and eliminate the
>> nasty bug where you free all but 8 bytes of some repeatedly-obtained
>> area, and never notice it until some customer runs out of (contiguous)
>> memory.

OMG!  A severe case of HLL-think!  (But no garbage collection.)

Many years ago, I witnessed several assembler programmers being dragged
unwittingly, often unwillingly into a HLL environment.  Chief complaints were:
o No facility to increment a pointer.
o No facility to do a single new(); subdivide the block; and dispose()
piecemeal.

> For private storage (and also for common storage when
>common storage tracking is not turned on), VSM does not
>keep track of the size of the original request.  Two
>separate GETMAINs which end up being adjacent are
>indistinguishable from one GETMAIN for the sum of the
>sizes.

I hope no programmer counts on that.  But I suspect some do
and that was among the motivations for a compatibility option
when the storage management scheme changed radically a few
releases ago.

--gil