On 2019-02-27 22:00, Susan Shumway wrote:
Hi all,

I want to make you aware that every PDF in the z/OS V2.3 library was just
refreshed to update the visual style and link coding. Because of the link
coding changes, clicking on a link in an old-style PDF to a new style PDF will
not work, and vice versa. So, to ensure that all cross-book links continue to
work for you, ensure that you download the entire fresh set of library PDFs
from https://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zOSV2R3Library
as soon as you get the chance.

-Sue Shumway
Thanks for pointing this out, Sue.

I have to say I'm not particularly happy with the new PDFs. I opened the new and previous versions of the same manuals in a few different PDF readers to compare. Here are my observations:

1. The line length of body text has been increased by approximately 25 characters. The old PDFs had lines of about 75-80 characters (including blanks), and the new ones are more like 100-105 characters. A line width of 45-75 characters is generally considered to be best for readability. Try reading the same paragraph in both versions of the same PDF, and I think you will find that the old one is easier to read.

2. The bookmarks (ToC) in the previous PDFs were expanded to the chapter level. In the new PDFs, they are exploded to the first level of subheadings below the chapter level (on Adobe Reader or Evince Document Reader) or fully exploded (SumatraPDF reader). It now takes longer to locate a topic.

3. In Adobe Reader, the bookmarks are now shown with black text on a dark gray background. They are unnecessarily difficult to read. The old display (white text on a dark gray background) were much easier to read.

Taken together, these factors make the new PDFs harder to read and harder to navigate.

--

Regards, Gord Tomlin
Action Software International