I use linux and for many years I have organized the IBM z/OS PDFs by making
symlinks to the actual file name where the symlink name is the actual title
of the PDF.
That way, you can easily search for the title (symlink) to find a book, but
the inter-book links work.

Here's the script that I use to set everything up.   I just tried it with
the latest zip download of pdfs and it works fine - the inter-document
links work just fine, like before.

#!/bin/sh
# Make symlinks to all .pdf files in the current directory to names that
match their Title:
ls -1 *.pdf | while read f
do
  echo "Examining: "$f
  title=$(pdfinfo "$f" | grep "Title:" | cut -c17- | tr -d '/\\:' | tr ' '
'_')
  if test -n "$title" -a ! -s "$title.pdf" ; then
    echo "link $title.pdf -> $f"
    ln -s "$f" "$title.pdf"
  fi
done