From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Andrew Rowley <and...@blackhillsoftware.com>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 6:10 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: New look and linking for V2.3 product documentation PDFs

On 2/03/2019 4:55 am, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> I can see making copies for laptops off of the Internet, but dead tree? I
> wish I didn't believe you.

You can tell the people who learned from printed manuals from those who
use only softcopy ones - the people who learned from softcopy ask "How
do I do..." and the people who learned from hardcopy answer them.
(Mostly joking!)

I suspect most of us on this list are old enough to have started in
mainframe with hardcopy manuals. We may not appreciate how difficult it
is to learn z/OS without them.

When learning a complex new concept, a hardcopy manual where you can
stick a finger in a page, flip backwards, view multiple pages at once,
refer to another chapter etc. is much easier than softcopy. Is it
surprising that a 1000 page manual contains information that softcopy
users never see?

There's a couple of manuals I print in full, more often I will print a
chapter or 2. Even then the majority of time I use softcopy, but
occasionally when it's a complex topic and my brain starts to strain I
pull out the hardcopy. I almost always learn something new as I flip
through to the correct chapter.

I could postulate that the technologies that have met with most
resistance on the mainframe (e.g. z/OS Unix, Java) are those that came
along after the switch to softcopy manuals, so people never had the
opportunity to read and learn from hardcopy.

Andrew Rowley