Back in June 2018 there was discussion on this list that indicated that
the forward progress on a subcapacity processor is suspended
sufficiently often for a small time interval  (4 µsec?) to degrade the
average SU capacity of the processor to the licensed value.  It would
seem logical to assume such suspension would have to occur on clock
cycle boundaries and be for one or more clock cycles.

That would mean that while the processor is making progress, it would be
running at full clock speed, but there would be some clock cycles where
no progress occurred.   From the users perspective and program code
execution speed perspective it would appear as if the effective clock
speed were reduced even though the physical clock speed was unchanged.

This was the same design concept used to produce a sub-capacity IBM 407
Accounting machine back in the 1950's: the IBM 407 ran at 150
cards/minute, but a degraded and presumably cheaper-to-lease model was
available that paused every third machine cycle, reducing the effective
speed to 100 cards/minute.
    Joel C. Ewing

On 3/3/19 10:07 AM, Christopher Y. Blaicher wrote:
> ZIIP and ZAAP processors always run at full speed, even when running on a
> sub-capacity box.
> One thing, among many, I don't know is how IBM implements sub-capacity.  Slow
> the clock speed? Skip cycles?
>
> Chris Blaicher
> Technical Architect
> Syncsort, Inc.