A lot of installations run multiple CICS / IMS / DB2 regions because
one or two 2GiB regions is not nearly enough.  JAVA does offer an
option to run from 2GiB to 8GiB using 4 bit pointers that are shifted
3 bits to a multiple of 8 bytes.  Almost no one uses this because the
shifting slow down every memory access, much cheaper to use more
memory for 64 bit pointers.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:31 AM Paul Edwards <mutazi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 14:42:47 +0300, Binyamin Dissen
> <bdis...@dissensoftware.com> wrote:
>
> >Sounds like a pretty narrow range of applications, where the existing above
> >the line is not enough, but an extra 2G will be enough forever.
>
> It's sometimes not a matter of "not enough"
> so much as "capability". E.g. a 32-bit editor
> is capable of editing either 2 GiB or 4 GiB
> files, depending on whether it is compiled
> AM31 or AM32. If you exceed the capability
> you are forced to use your less-preferred
> editor. I would like to give users the
> maximum capability that 32 bits can give.
>
> >Why do you feel 64bit is "overkill"?
>
> Because it invalidates all old hardware. An
> AM32 program can still run as AM31 on old
> hardware, or even AM24 on very old
> hardware.
>
> BFN. Paul.

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA