On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 18:17:46 -0500, Paul Edwards wrote:

>I was thinking that z/Arch and z/OS could
>be updated to support AMODE 32.

Not again.

You brought up something similar last year. It was a ridiculous idea then and
it still is.

You were told then that your proposal would be rejected, and this one is a far
bigger one.

It amounts to a very small enhancement to an old architecture that has already
been enhanced far beyond what you are asking for. You are asking for a
significant change to the architecture that provides minimal, if any, benefit.
It would complicate the architecture, apparently only to the benefit of your
ego.

>The BSM instruction can use bit x'4000 0000'
>to get/set AM32.

No, it can't, for compatibility reasons.

>This introduces a 1 GiB
>restriction where the module should not
>be loaded above if it needs to switch
>AMODEs to call READ etc.

Yeah. You want to double the available storage, yet halve the storage available
to programs.

--
Tom Marchant